Monday, June 13, 2011

UNCC grad turns in fantastic Bonnaroo set



I've seen New Jersey native and UNC-Charlotte graduate Nicole Atkins perform before and I like her a lot, but she absolutely blew me away Sunday playing an early afternoon set with her band the Black Sea in the sweltering Bonnaroo heat.

The sound was clear and Atkins' voice was astounding. As we approached the tent my husband noted the Stevie Nicks-like quality in her voice during her Can cover (and how cool is she to cover Can? I believe its called "Vitamin C" and her version is available as the B-side on the "Vultures" 7 inch). Later her torch-y belting of a show stopping waltz with Ben Sollee guesting on cello reminded me of the power of a Patsy Cline or Dusty Springfield. I got chills. Her's was one of my favorite performances of the day.

Atkins, who remains quite connected to Charlotte and always seems to stop here on tour, will bring those killer pipes to The Milestone Monday, June 20 at 8 p.m. Stephen Warwick and Small Talk Industries also play. Tickets are $10-$12. www.etix.com

1 comment :

  1. Courtney,
    I'll be interviewing Nicole at 3pm on Monday June 20 on 91.7 WSGE.
    Thanks for the great Bonnaroo review!
    Dallas Reese
    Operations Mgr.
    91.7 WSGE
    Gaston College
    201 Hwy. 321 South
    Dallas, NC 28034
    reese.dallas@gaston.edu
    704-922-6313 office
    www.wsge.org

    ReplyDelete